Week 5 Reflection: Tech Edge in the Classroom

Tech Edge uses iTunes and Youtube to share numerous videos relevant to teaching using the iPad. They review loads of apps, including things like an app to track motion or to look at the way our solar system works. This could be incredibly valuable to a teacher, especially an elementary school teacher who might have to teach multiple disciplines and needs to find multiple videos for different content areas. I, however, will not be teaching elementary school, so I will be looking at a relevant subset of their videos. I was surprised at the amount of content that they covered. The most useful app for my teaching purposes, one that you can find in more detail below, allows for students to use motion trackers, just like Vernier supplies to schools. However, this only requires your iPad, not a bunch of equipment!

In their Space episode, they introduced an app called Solar Walk.

image

Solar Walk is great for only $2.99! It’s useful because it allows for the user to interact with what is in space, including satellites and moons. This is a great resource for introducing students to what is out there in space. It also allows for students to learn more about what they are viewing. By giving students this information, it feeds their natural curiosity.

They also have an episode about video physics. This was was very interesting to me. Developed by Vernier, the app Video Physics allows for video analysis of physical concepts.

image

This is awesome for only $4.99! You can use preloaded videos to gather important data and analyze it. This could help students understand how these physics concepts, such as forces, relate to real life. In fact, this is nearly exactly what we do in labs, only simpler and easier for the student to use.

Lastly, in their Science Fun video, they look at the app DIY Sun Science, looking at light and it’s related concepts.

image

This app is free! They use real data from almost live time to allow students to analyze the sun. You can look at different wavelengths using different filters to look at interesting features about the sun. The app helps tell you what you’re looking at to reduce confusion for students as well. Very cool!